At Sullivan Personal Training, we have several fitness trainers at our Farmington, MO facility to help you achieve your personal fitness goals. Besides offering personal strength training services, we also coach our clients on matters of nutrition. If you are looking for nutritional counseling in Farmington, you’ve come to the right place. Below is a recipe to help you stay healthy during the holiday season while giving yourself a tasty treat.
Grain-free Sugar Cookies
(Makes approximately 20 cookies, depending upon the cutter size)
2 cups finely-ground almond flour (also known as almond meal)
3/8 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. baking soda
¼ cup maple syrup (pure, if you can get it) or stevia to taste
3 tbsp. vegetable oil or coconut oil
(For the version made with maple syrup): approximately 1 tbsp. + 1 tsp. milk
(For the version made with stevia): 2 tbsp milk of choice; blend with liquid ingredients
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1. Combine all liquids. Omit the milk if you are using the maple syrup version of this recipe.
2. In a separate dish, combine dry ingredients and stir thoroughly. Mix in wet ingredients while continually stirring, separating any clumps as you mix. The contents may seem dry at first, but this is normal. If you are making the maple syrup version of these cookies, add the 4 tsp. of milk now. DO NOT add any more liquid to the recipe, even if it seems to be too dry. The dough will eventually reach a consistency that can be easily manipulated.
3. Roll the dough out to the desired thickness. You can do this inside a plastic bag for easier cleanup or between sheets of parchment paper. Once you have rolled the dough, cut it into the shape desired.
4. Stick the dough in the freezer for a minimum of twenty minutes. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. After the cookies have cooled, immediately put them into the oven for 10-13 minutes on a greased cookie sheet. Lengthier baking times lead to more crunchy cookies.
5. Let the cookies cool for at least 10 minutes before attempting to remove them from the cookie sheet. Crunchier cookies should be stored in a loosely covered glass container at room temperature.
Mix 1 cup no-sugar powdered sugar with a scant ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract and milk. Start very slowly with the milk and stir well before adding more. Apply to cookies.